Changes to the Residential Tenancies Act

From the 29th March 2021, 132 reforms to Victoria’s renting laws will come into effect. The law change will apply to all types of tenancies, including private rentals, caravans and residential parks and rooming houses.

There are some new terms/definitions in these regulations, what are they and what do they mean?

  • Tenants will be referred to as ‘renters’
  • Landlords will be referred to as ‘rental providers’
  • Tenancy Agreements will be referred to as ‘rental agreements’
  • Rooming house owners will be referred to as ‘rooming house operators’

What do the regulations include?

  • New requirements for rental applications
  • Maximum bond amounts
  • Rental minimum standards that your property must meet
  • Modifications that tenants can make to the rented premises without the consent of the landlord
  • Updated amounts to the cost of urgent repairs that a tenant can authorise
  • Updates to requirements of condition reports
  • Records of gas and electrical safety checks

What should I do to prepare for the new regulations?

Firstly, you should make sure you have familiarised yourselves with the regulations and what each reform means. Additionally, you can contact our office to discuss this further.

Together we can ensure that your property meets the rental standards and that the smoke alarms have been checked within the last year and that there has been electrical and gas checks (in the last 2 years) at your property.

Where can I find more information?

If you have any questions or concerns on how these reforms may affect your rental property, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Additionally, you can find out more information from the following links: